February 26, 2019
NON-PROFIT FINANCIAL FUNDAMENTALS:
The Western Kansas Community Foundation, Finney County United Way, and Finnup Foundation are hosting a financial fundamentals workshop, specifically designed for nonprofit boards and staff, and facilitated by Varney & Associates, CPAs, LLC. In this workshop, attendees will be presented with information on "How to Strengthen Financial Management" in the following areas:
- Planning- This portion of the training will focus on topics such as (1) strengthening the budget development process and (2) planning for and addressing financial uncertainty by establishing reserve funds.
- Operations-This section will cover (1) the basics of nonprofit accounting and financial reporting and (2) strengthening internal controls through the segregation of duties.
- Monitoring-The focus in this section will be on understanding and interpreting financial information and managing restricted funds.
- Governance-Learn more about successful governance with the following topics: (1) defining roles and responsibilities of board members and board committees, (2) and utilization of the board treasurer and finance committee as part of an effective internal control environment.
- Wednesday, April 24th | 8:30am - Noon
- $40 Registration Fee (Payable to WKCF)
- Check-in begins at 8:00am
- Baffa Room | Finnup Center | 312 E. Finnup Dr. | Garden City, KS 67846
- 3.5 CPE Credit Hours
- Drinks and snacks provided
*** MUST REIGSTER TO ATTEND ***
Register by email to stacie [at] wkcf [dot] org, or call the WKCF office at 620-271-9484.
MEET THE FACILITATORS:
Eric Kientz (Principal, CPA, CMA, CGMA, CNAP) has been with Varney & Associates for over five years and possesses over seven years’ experience as a CPA, CMA, CGMA, and CNAP. He earned his Bachelor’s in Business Administration from Kansas State University. Eric’s duties focus primarily on non-profit accounting, for various charitable and governmental entities. He is also Varney's resident expert on best practices for stewardship, compliance, and accountability for non-profit organizations.
Taylor Pennick (CPA) has been with Varney & Associates since 2014 and brings with him five years of accounting industry experience. He earned his Bachelor’s in Business Administration with emphasis in Accounting from Kansas State University and is a Certified Public Accountant. A valuable member of the audit team, Taylor’s practice focuses solely on the planning and performance of audits, specifically relating to non-profit, governmental and employee benefits plans.