The Western Kansas Community Foundation reviews applications three times per year. Applications are continually available at the online grant system which can be accessed from our Grant Application page.
The application deadlines are as follows:
|Application Due Dates||Grants Awarded|
**Urgent Needs Fund grants are continually available, with no set deadline dates.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY 5:00PM ON THE DAY OF THE DEADLINE (ONLINE ONLY), NO EXCEPTIONS.
We HIGHLY suggest you submit you application before the deadline in case of any technical difficulties.
Who Do We Fund?
The Foundation restricts its support to 501(c)(3) or other exempt organizations/groups or the government equivalent, in western Kansas who are served by the Western Kansas Community Foundation.
After we receive your completed proposal, the Foundation's Grant Committee will meet to review your application. The Grant Committee will make its recommendations to the Board of Directors. You will be notified of the Board's decision as soon as possible after the Board meeting at which your application is considered. This notification will come in the form of an email as well as being marked on your application in the grant application system.
Organizations that are awarded a grant are not eligible for the next grant cycle unless the funds have been expended, AND, the organization is requesting funds for a separate project. The Final Report is due at completion of your program and before an additional grant will be funded, or approximately one year from the date funds are received. The Final Report form will also be made available to you in the grant application system once your application has been approved, and is an online form that must be submitted back to the Foundation through the grant system.
**If you have been awarded a grant, and you determine that your program/project needs to vary from what was presented and funded in the original grant application, you MUST formally request approval of the deviation from the Foundation. You may make such a request by way of a letter describing what was originally funded by the Foundation, why you are no longer needing the funds for that purpose, and what you plan to use the funds for instead. You may NOT use the funds for the requested deviation until you have received notice from the WKCF Board that your request has been approved. If your request is denied, you will be required to return the awarded grant funds.
**If you are approaching the one year deadline for the completion of your grant, and your program/project will not be completed by the deadline, you MUST formally request a continuance of your program/project from the Foundation. You may make such a request by way of a letter describing what your program/project is, and why the program/project can not be completed in the alotted timeframe. This letter must be submitted to the Foundation in advance of the grant deadline for approval by the WKCF Board, or you will be expected to submit the final report by the date of the deadline. If your request is approved, you will have one additional year to complete your program, unless othewise stated. If your request for continuance is not approved, you will be required to return the awarded grant funds should you not complete the program/project by the original grant deadline.
The Foundation encourages grant requests for projects or programs that:
- Fall in line with our mission statement - "Enriching Western Kansas life through philanthropy, leadership and collaboration."
- Will have a broad impact on the quality of life for a large number of people within our service area.
- Propose ways to address community issues and problems.
- Leverage other sources of support.
- Stimulate others to participate in addressing community programs.
- Are innovative, a new initiative, or an enhancement of an existing program.
- Is responsive to changing or emerging community needs.
- Are sustainable over time.
- Are collaborative with other organizations for a broader impact.
- Require specific items to impact the services your organization is providing to your patrons.
- Service counties within our 15 county service area. These applications will receive first consideration. These counties include: Greeley, Wichita, Scott, Lane, Hamilton, Kearny, Finney, Stanton, Grant, Haskell, Gray, Morton, Stevens, Seward, and Meade
The Foundation will not give consideration to:
- Operating or maintenance expenses (including salaries).
- Medical or scholarly research.
- Membership fees.
- Banquet or luncheon expenses.
- Ticket sales for charitable fund-raising efforts.
- Religious organizations for religious purposes.
- Travel expenses for groups, such as school classes, clubs or sport teams.
- Capital debt reduction.
- Political lobbying or legislative activities.
- Use of and payment for services of a fiscal agent.
- Endowment establishment or enhancement.
- Umbrella funding organizations that would distribute requested funds at their own discretion.
- Marketing tools, such as water bottles, t-shirts, pens, etc.
- Give-away items for prizes/incentives.
Due to the number of requests the Foundation receives, it is not guaranteed every project will be funded or that full requests will be met. The Foundation will only accept one grant request per organization, per grant period. Applications must be submitted in full through the online grant system in order to be reviewed, mailed or emailed applications or requests will not be considered. Programs and projects must be completed within a one-year period from the date the application was due. If you have an open grant with the Foundation, further grant applications will be ineligible until the submission of a Final Report is received by the Foundation.
Each grant request will be reviewed and evaluated on its own merit based on the contents of the application form. For this reason, it is important to provide clear and complete responses to all information requested.